Today I’m covering by far one of the most common questions I’m asked … “How to set up an online shop with WordPress?”
Certainly there are a TON of online e-commerce (That’s just fancy talk for selling anything online) options available. Here’s a great article on several popular ecommerce solutions.
For the sake of simplicity, I’m just going to cover setting up one of arguably the most popular ecommerce solutions for WordPress called Woocommerce. At the time of writing it has nearly 7 million downloads.
Woocommerce has NO FEES associated with setting it up and it and works right out of the box with WordPress. Here’s a quick overview of Woocommerce. You can sell digital or physical products with it and use multiple checkout options. To set up an online shop with WordPress, you will need 3 things before getting started.
1. A domain + self-hosted WordPress site. Here’s how to set one up in 5 minutes flat!
2. A WordPress theme that is compatible with Woocommerce. Hint: Our themes are!
3. Products to sell. These can be digital products or physical products you will ship.
4. Optional – A Paypal Account / Various Merchant accounts to receive payments (We’ll cover this more in the video below.)
Ready to go? Deep breaths. It’s not as hard as you might think. 20 Minutes. Grab a cup of something yummy to sip. Let’s do this!
- Here’s even more extensive documentation and how-to’s on Woocommerce’s wesbite.
- Here are a bunch of Woocommerce extensions that can integrate your shop with third party service providers.
- And here is how to find your API credentials to set up your Paypal checkout.
I hope that you’re not too intimidated to get started and that something listed here was at least a little bit helpful. Happy setting up shop!